Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Salt Dough Creations


Salt Dough Recipe

Ingredients:


  • 1 cup of fine salt
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of water (may add more)


  • Instructions:
    • In a large bowl, combine the salt and the flour
    • Add the water
    • Knead until smooth and shape into a ball
    • When not in use, wrap in plastic or store in an airtight container

    • HINT: To get a softer dough you can add more flour. Adding more salt will lend a more grain like affect.
    • You can paint your creations with acrylic paints and seal with varnish or polyurethane spray.

      You can let your salt dough creations air dry, however salt dough can also be dried in the oven. Bake at 200 F until your creation is dry. The amount of time needed to bake your creations depends on size and thickness; thin flat ornaments may only take 45-60 minutes, thicker creations can take 2-3 hours or more. You can increase your oven temperature to 350 F, your dough will dry faster but it may also brown, which won't matter if you are painting your entire creation.
      There are a few options to color your salt dough1. Add powdered tempera paint to your flour, 2. add food coloring or paint to the water before you mix it with the salt/flour, or 3. add natural coloring like instant coffee, cocoa, or cinnamon. 

    • The possibilities are almost endless for what you can make with your salt dough. Here are a few of the ones I have made so far. ..
      My cookies. 
      Painted them with paint when dry, sealed with Mod Podge. (I LOVE Mod Podge!)

      Cookie and cinnamon rolls. 
      I used Mod Podge and white paint for the "icing." 

      My Pie. Not perfect, but I'm happy with it. Very easy to make.
      I just rolled my salt dough out, and used my pizza cutter to cut it in strips!
      (I also made the watermelons on the top of it.)



      4 comments:

      1. WOW... those cookies look real!!! I love your camera

        ReplyDelete
      2. Those cookies are so real. Its a great idea.Thanks for sharing :)

        ReplyDelete
        Replies
        1. Thank you. I need to make more one of these days, something different. I will be sure to share those when I do. :)

          Delete