Thursday, January 9, 2014

DIY Burp Cloth's


Making Burp Cloth's is fairly easy.
Actually, it's really easy.
And quick.
So easy, I did not need to follow any directions.


I used a bath towel for my backside.
And a decorative cotton for the front side.
(If you use flannel, it makes it a bit tricky to sew. 
I used some interfacing when I use flannel, and it made it super easy)


 
I paid about $3.50 for the towel. And the fabric was on sale at Jo Anns. I paid $2.50 for half a yard; Which will do about 6 burp cloths.
 
How cute are those elephants!

PRE-WASH your material. 
FOR REAL, PRE-WASH IT!
I HATE this step. 
But if you DON'T do it, then when they are washed for the first time, the different material could shrink differently and make the whole thing look crooked and badly made.

 If your anything like me, you'll wash it with all of your other towels and clothes. 
So I had to pull out my lint brush. Took care of all the uglies left behind from my brown towels. LOL

My half yard of material measured enough to give me 6 burp cloths. 
I don't know if they are the "real" measurements of  actual store bought ones.
But it looked good to me.
I cut my material 17 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches.
And then cut the same measurements from the towel.
The towel was big enough to give me 12 backs of burp cloths. 
But I only cut 6. LOL :) 
Just letting you know how many I can get from it.



 


Take the material and place both pieces with the front sides facing together. 
You will be turning this inside out.
\


And then pin.
PIN.
The bath towel likes to stretch and pull.
So use LOTS of pins.


Sew one of the short ends.
I use a zigzag stitch. It helps catch all the material and make sure no frays happen.
And then sew down each side.
I also find it easier to also sew about 2 inches in on each side at the open end, leaving a hole for turning right side out.


Clip the corners.
Turn right side out.
Fold down your open end, and iron. 
Its easier to fold in because of the 2 inches sewn on each side.
Then stitch it closed.

 I add a decorative zigzag stitch.
I measure my length and divide by 3. 
So if your length is 18 inches, you would sew at 6 inches and 12 inches.

 Brush all of the fuzzes left behind from the bath towel, and admire your work.

I like to fold them  up. And before I give them away, I wrap some decorative ribbon around them and add a tag that says Burp Cloth's. 

Total Cost for 6 Decorative Burp Cloth's...$4.25

I made these for my newest niece to use, who will be joining the world in a little over 2 months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment