Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ruffle Curtains

I have always made my own curtains. But rarely anything ever complicated.
My sister asked me to make a set of curtains for her kitchen windows. 
She gave me the fabric, and said to make "Whatever."
I wanted to do something different, but cute. 

I own a Singer Simple sewing machine. (Which I LOVE)
And I looked everywhere for a ruffle foot attachment, 
only to find that for my model machine, they make no 
such attachment. 

So I decided to make my own ruffles,
 and shockingly enough,
it was very easy, although time consuming, to do.
 
 
I decided for larger ruffles.
I cut a back liner piece the size of the window.
And then cut 6 1/2" strips of material wide and almost double the lenght of the liner.
(I did cut off the excess on some pieces. Wasteful I know! LOL)

Here's where I do things the weird and wrong way.
I used my liner as my template. I attached my ruffle material to the liner on one end.
And then about every 1-2 inches I just folded the fabric on my ruffle material ONLY and pinned it to itself.
(DO NOT pin to the liner yet. I didn't want the liner would NOT bunch up)
I did this for every single strip of ruffle material.
I sewed each ruffle piece with a simple straight stitch on my sewing machine.

After I had sewn all of my ruffle pieces. I attached each piece to the liner.
And sewed it on, using a straight stitch. 
After I sewed each ruffle piece to the liner, I added a new row and overlapped it by about one inch or so to hide the previous ruffle thread.


I followed no template. Just a lot of guess work. And they turned out wonderfully, with no mistakes. 
Which is rare for me. :)

I know this is not very detailed. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can. 


 Here are the finished curtains. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment