Monday, July 8, 2013

Head Board from Old Window

While in Sugar Creek, (BEST place to shop for primitives)
I found a large, old window. And got it for a steal at $10.00!
Super happy that my sister let me cram it in to her brand new car. LOL 

It was perfect. So I just wiped it off a bit. 
I then decided that it needed a shelf attached to it. 
 I went and bought a thin, long board from Home Depot for under $5.00.
 
I was so happy with how I matched up the brand new board to the old window. I simply used a couple different colors of gray paint, along with black and white. And kept layering it. Also, want to know my other secret I found worked wonders? 
(I LOVE pinterest) 
I used Elmer's wood glue between each layer. And once it dried, it gave the paint an old cracked look.

I was also proud of the fact that I did this project 100% by myself. 

After I attached the shelf board, It was time to hang. 
Another wonderful tip I discovered thanks to pinterest, 
I placed a piece of  painters tape the length of the window.

(Doesn't that top shelf look all old and weathered?!)

I then took the piece of tape, and attached it on the wall where I wanted the head board.
I found where the studs where, and marked an X on the tape.
Also, take note of the pieces of blue tape on the top of the wall.
Those are where the studs are. I left those pieces of tape there so I knew exactly where to drill 
my headboard once it was ready to hang.

I took the tape and placed it back on my head board. 
And pre drilled my screws where I had marked the X's. 

All ready to be hung...

And here it is. It was so easy to hang because of the pre drilling! 
And I did it with NO help at all. 
And because of the blue tape I had left on the wall, I knew exactly where to start my screws. 
I'm sure it seems like an extra step, but it is what worked for me. LOL

And here it is, mostly finished. 
I have since added stuff to the shelf on top, and moved the love banner to the bottom of it.
I made the banner from burlap and tea stained material. 
And I used pictures of my husband and I and strung them on a piece of Jute.

No comments:

Post a Comment