Monday, February 18, 2013

Handmade Primitive Banner


I am a banner freak, I just LOVE banners.

I coffee stained my material. 
*I use any kind of coffee to stain my fabric. 
I wrap a couple tbs in a paper towel, twist the end, add it to a cup of water and put in the microwave for a minute. (Making sure my entire piece of paper towel is wet first!) Then I brush it on my wadded up material. And then just pour the rest all over it so the entire piece of fabric is soaked. Let it try overnight, and this is what I get. Some spots darker, which I like!


I cut out my banner using a banner template I found for free online.
 
 

I used my SCAL2 program and my cricut to cut out some shapes.
And then I attached them to my banner pieces using the Steam A Seam method.
 
 
 You can read all my directions for steam a seam HERE





Now came the time to string them up. 
I happily got out my crop-o-dile, thinking I could just use it to put a hole in each corner of my banner pieces.
Well, NO SUCH LUCK!
My crop-o-dile just refused to poke a hole through my muslin material.
(And neither would a regular hole punch, I tried. LOL)
So does anyone know of a way to put a hole in material? Please share. 
I ended up using a razor/utilty knife to slice an x in each corner. 



I got out my Jute. Twine would have been just as well, if not better. But all I had on hand was Jute.


I measured where I intended to hang my banner, and added about 2 extra feet, and then cut a piece of my Jute to that length.

I then started adding my banner pieces to my jute string. I made it so the jute came across the front of each banner piece. I think it adds to the primitive look this way.


And here it is all hung up. 


(Don't pay attention to the shelf decorations. My wonderful hubby just built me the shelf, and I haven't got around to decorating it the way I want yet!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment